Cookin’ with Carbo
Buffet Style Class
- 1 large head broccoli, broken into small flowerettes
1/2 bag chopped onions
8 to 10 slices bacon
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons vinegar
1/2 cup craisins
1/2 cup almond slices
- Cut bacon into bits and fry crisp.
Mix together mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, bacon, craisins and almonds. Pour over broccoli and onions. Mix well.
Refrigerate until ready to serve
Tok-Sel Lima Beans
- 8 oz frozen Fordhook lima beans
1 bunch green onions
1/2 bunch parsley
Salt to taste
Lemon juice to taste
6 ounces ground, roasted pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Defrost your lima beans.
Chop the green onions and parsley, medium to fine. Set aside.
Roast the pumpkin seeds in the preheated oven, then grind them (medium to fine) in a food processor.
Put the sesame oil in a large skillet on medium heat. When the oil starts smoking, throw the lima beans in first. Saute them until they are brown and roasted.
Add all the other ingredients except the lemon juice and saute for another minute. Then add lemon juice, and serve.
- 3 1/2 ounces chorizo sausage
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- 8 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, half-and-half, or milk
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Remove casings from chorizo and slice into 1/4-inch rounds. Cut the rounds in half.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and cream. Season the eggs with salt and pepper, add 1/2 cup shredded cheese, and whisk or stir to combine.
- In a large ovenproof skillet heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and onions and cook until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the spinach to the skillet and cook until the spinach has wilted, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes to the skillet and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the eggs to the skillet and stir to combine. Sprinkle top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Cook for 2 minutes and then transfer pan to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes or until the eggs have set.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer frittata to a serving platter. Slice and enjoy. Leftovers can be refrigerated and served cold or re-heated.
Black Bean and Jalapeno Dip
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 Jalapenos, chopped
- 1 lime - juiced
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 tsp coriander
First of all drain the black beans and rinse them under cold running water. Now place half of them in the goblet of a food processor, then add the tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, lime juice and coriander. Season well with some salt and whiz the whole lot until it is quite smooth.
Next add the rest of the black beans and give these a short burst in the processor (this is to give the dip a little bit of texture). Now transfer it all to a bowl and fold in the cream.
Taste to check the seasoning, then serve garnished with some more coriander and wedges of lime, with potato wedge (or whatever else you fancy) to dip in.
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup craisins
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bag of fresh greens
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded gouda, provolone
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup grated asiago cheese
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper; cover and shake well. Chill. In a bowl, toss greens, tomatoes, cheese, almonds and bacon. Shake dressing; pour over salad and toss.
Chocolate and Cherry Sheet Cake
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake or Chocolate cake mix
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup milk
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 13x9-inch pan.
In large bowl, combine cake mix, pie filling, almond extract, and eggs. By hand, stir until well mixed.
Pour into greased and floured pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
In small saucepan, combine sugar, butter and milk. Bring to a boil stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Pour and spread over warm cake.
- Refrigerated pizza dough
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese (cut into 48 cubes)
- 1 pound ground, browned sausage
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp italian seasoning (dried)
- 3 tbsps grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups pizza sauce (marinara sauce heated)
Preheat oven to 400º.
- Spray 3 9-inch pie pans with cooking spray.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out one pizza crust and pat into 12x8 rectangle.
- Cut into 24 squares.
- Place spoon of sausage and one cube of cheese on each dough square. Wrap dough around, pressing to seal.
- Place in pans, seamside down.
- Mix together oil and Italian seasoning. Drizzle or brush over rolls
- Top with grated parmesan.
- Bake at 400º for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with warmed pizza or marinara sauce.